When freezing temperatures creep into the Northeast, it can be a real problem for your gutters. As temperatures fall, ice dams can form in your gutters, which can cause serious property damage.
Thankfully, there are many things homeowners can do to prevent ice dams from forming in their gutters during winter.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the dangers of allowing ice dams to form and the preventative measures that New York and New Jersey residents can take to prevent these nuisances from forming.
The Dangers of Gutter Ice Dams
First, it’s important to understand the risks of allowing ice dams to form in your gutters. Ice dams can lead to more significant issues for your property, including:
- Roof damage: When ice builds up in your gutters, it can prevent proper drainage from your roof. This can result in water seeping under the shingles, causing leaks and expensive repairs or even necessitating a total roof replacement.
- Water damage: Because the normal flow of water is hindered, ice dams can lead to water damage as melting snow and ice get into your home. This can result in damage to your ceilings, walls, insulation and other structural components.
- Gutter damage: Ice dams are heavy, and all that extra weight can place an unnecessary strain on your gutters, causing them to break, bend or detach from your home altogether. This damages your gutters and can harm your siding or fascia.
- Icicle formation: Ice dams can also make it easier for icicles to form from high points on your property. These sharp objects can pose a significant threat to unsuspecting household members or guests if they fall on someone.
How To Prevent Frozen Gutters
Now that you understand the dangers associated with ice dam formation, it’s time to explore the ways you can prevent them.
These are just a few prevention methods that homeowners can adopt as they prepare for winter:
- Clear gutters & downspouts: Clear away any leaves, twigs and other debris that can clog your gutters and make it easier for water to get trapped and freeze. Repeat this process throughout winter as debris collects in your gutters.
- Upgrade your gutter guards: Consider replacing your gutter guards with a more advanced system. Gutter guards can help prevent excess debris buildup, allowing water to flow more freely to protect against ice dam formation.
- Weatherize your roofing system: Your gutters and roofing system go hand-in-hand, so it’s important not to neglect your roof as the seasons change. Read on to see what we recommend to weatherize your roof for the winter.
Best Ways To Weatherize Your Roofing System
When weatherizing your roof for the winter, there are several things you can do to ensure it’s properly prepared for the freezing weather:
- Heated gutters: Installing heated gutters can help ensure your roof remains free of unwanted damage and water infiltration caused by ice dams.
- Attic insulation: A well-insulated attic is an added line of defense for your roofing system to combat the effects of cold weather.
- Radiant barriers: Consider radiant barrier insulation for your roofing system as you weatherize it for winter.
Choose Eastern Contractor Services for Heated Gutter Installation & More in NY & NJ
Don’t let ice dam formation put unnecessary strain on your gutter and roofing systems this winter. Trust the experts at Eastern Contractor Services to provide the heated gutter installations you need to keep freezing weather from compromising the structural integrity of your property.
Contact our team to request a heated gutter installation estimate today.